Sunday, February 22, 2009

Phew!

We made it through this past week by the skin of our teeth! Most things went well and I was able to get to everything that was on my schedule. The cardiologist appt. was cancelled because they didn't have an authorization from the insurance which left me speed-dialing everyone to make sure that we will have one by our next appt. We will...it's already gone through.

The girls checked out great at the dentist, the third graders are reading better every week, therapy was ok - not great - but ok, visiting teaching was fun, school was good, and I had a special treat this week...a special night out to Ciao Bella with Dawn & Mandy. The food was wonderful and laughter was frequent...just what I needed. I am such a lucky girl! Thank you!
So, the BIG news of the week occurred on Friday when I took Preston in for his tonsillectomy, ear tubes and ABR test. It only took one hour and then I was back with him. Everything went well and the test showed that his hearing is perfect. Friday in the hospital was a little rough with him wanting to be held - and not wanting me to sit down while holding him. But I took a couple pictures with my Palm of him playing happily in his crib - for the 10 minutes that he did that!
The benefits of the tonsillectomy were immediate and drastic. He has never had such great saturation! He was on room air all night long and his saturation looked like this...
96%!! Yippee!! Hooray!! Preston is back to his happy, little self and eating more than he's ever eaten before. We know that this is an answer to many prayers and thank God for His blessings and for watching over Preston during his surgery and hospital stay.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Brian was keeping everything under control - and only lost one child in Wal-Mart. It was Ben. "Why wasn't he in the cart?" I asked. "He didn't want to be in the cart," Brian replied. Ben - who happens to be two years old - does NOT have a choice about it! It all ended well, but not without some panic. Brian was actually at Wal-Mart doing something for me. He was getting paint. I started painting our main floor last May and our kitchen was the last thing that needed to be done. A lovely group of ladies came over on Friday night and painted the kitchen for me while I was hanging out with Preston. I came home and was so thrilled!! One less thing on my to-do list! And it looks so great!! These girls should hire out! Thank you, thank you, my dear friends.

We were blessed with delicious meals on Friday and Saturday! Thank you so much! It was so thoughtful! We have been the recipients of so much love and kindness this week - my heart is overwhelmed. We love you!

So now I think we can get back to our normal-busy routine instead of our crazy-busy routine. Sometimes I wish I could just let it go...the appointments, the therapy, the school...but I just can't do it in good conscience. It's all too important right now. I just keep trying to remind myself that it's only temporary, just get through and it will be worth it. A good friend reminded me recently, on an especially hard day, that we don't just have strength, we find strength. I have found strength through your uplifting and supportive comments, notes and emails, through your phone calls and inquiries about Preston and our family. I find strength through the wonderful people who care for the kids...and for the many who offer to. I gain strength through your encouraging words and through your acts of service and kindness, and your hugs. I continue to gain the strength to press forward as I see others facing difficult trials with grace and faith. I find strength in Brian's words of "I'm proud of you" or the kids saying "Do good at school, Mom!" So I will get through normal-busy, finding strength along the way and with gratitude that it's not crazy-busy.