Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Ball & Chain

Monday morning I took Preston in for a routine, no frills, run-of-the mill, in-and-out CT scan. Left the house at 6am and planned to be home by noon. I should have learned by now that nothing is routine when it comes to special needs kids. I won't go into all the details but he had some difficulty breathing when he came out of the anesthesia and they ended up doing two unsuccessful breathing treatments. All they could do was put him on oxygen - a lot of it - and admit him to the hospital. No one is sure how or why this happened but it makes me very anxious about his upcoming surgery to remove his tonsils and future CT scans. We stayed the night as they tried several times to lower the oxygen he needed, but each time his saturation would fall. Very frustrating. We were able to come home yesterday afternoon...with the backpack that I was sure we would never have to lug around again. A concentrator and supplies were delivered while I was taking a nap. Preston is being very tolerant of being attached to his ball and chain again - much better than I imagined he would.

And now for the credits...Thanks Dawn for leaving your kids to fend for themselves and watch our kids so Brian could bring some things to the hospital for me. Thank you Holly & Alicia for setting aside your busy lives and bringing us dinner - it was perfect!! Thank you to everyone who has called with love and concern and for offering your help! It is not without your love and support we could get through these setbacks. Thank you Brian for holding down the fort and making sure the kids were where they needed to be and keeping everything running...no easy feat - I know!

And now for the good news...the CT scan showed that Preston's lungs are healing and doing better than 6 months ago! Two steps forward, one step back.