Sunday, January 14, 2007

I am so happy for you!

Since this is my little space on the web, I'm going to give you a little commentary, if you don't mind. On a few occasions over the past week, I've had some experiences that have made me think more about just being happy for one another. If you have more than one child (especially ones that are close in age) it is one of the hardest principles to teach them. One child gets a candy, or pajama day at school, or an invitation to a birthday party and another child doesn't...get ready for whining, tears a tantrum or all of them rolled into one. It's not a pretty sight. So I decided that in our family we were going to practice being happy for each other. I asked Sydney to tell us something great in her life and we would all say "Wow, that's so great!" Then Courtney's turn..."So awesome." They even started coming up with their own positive feedback like "You're so lucky!" But it's not just children. I have been surprised (and ashamed) at myself and other adults who get caught up in the competition or jealousy or comparison that goes along with living among other human beings. We're supposed to mourn with those that mourn, but shouldn't we be happy for people when they are happy about something? Makes sense to me...unless, of course, what they're doing is illegal or immoral.

I am so happy for a sweet person who is dating someone who is so kind and good to her even though at first he seemed to old for her and to not have much in common. You seem so happy; I hope things work out for you! I am so happy for the person who registered for the most expensive baby bath at babies r us...I truly hope someone is able to get it for you because I know it is something you would like. I am so happy for the friend who has a talent for listening and lifting others up...I want to be more like you. I am so happy for all of you out there who get to have your spouse come home from work every night - That is so awesome! I am so happy for the girlfriend who is getting an awesome rocker as a gift for her new baby...you are going to love it and I am so excited for you! I am so happy for the people who have musical talent I wish I possessed. What a great gift! I am so happy for you if you are excited about something and just want to share it with someone - not, "oh yeah, I've already known that for a long time". I am so happy for you if your scrapbooks are expertly created and up to date...I'm happy for you...really I am! I am so happy for you when good things happen to you...whether it be buying the car of your dreams, following your heart, or just getting through the day. I am so happy for you!!!