Friday, December 12, 2008

Waving The White Flag

There's a reason that I am typing a blog entry at 3:07 am...a darn good reason. I'm surrendering. I can't sleep and need to share what has been weighing on my mind and heart the past few weeks. Brian's multiple sclerosis has decided that it's time to mix things up a bit and has been giving him more problems. That is the nature of this MS beast. He is doing great teaching, but during the afternoon his eyesight goes blurry and he has a very difficult time reading, grading papers, preparing for his future lessons, and seeing the computer screen is basically impossible. I guess that with 9 years of mild, controllable symptoms, I just expected life to continue on and that his health would maintain at that level for many more years. And now, here we are, with tests on the horizon and and the military medical boards that will eventually have to be convened.

So what's the worst case scenario?? They medically retire Brian with 1/3 of his pay and all military benefits. Not too bad, but then what? I'm not sure exactly. So trying to be proactive instead of reactive, I am heading back to school to finish my bachelor's degree. I have applied to two universities and tomorrow (well, I guess that's today) I'll be delivering my official transcripts. I was glad to see that I did better in college than I remembered; getting a 3.6 GPA and having completed 112 credits. My little Associates of Applied Science in Sign Language Interpreting had a lot of program specific classes. Not sure how many will transfer, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I am going to get my degree in Elementary Education in the hopes that I will be able to find a job teaching, or at least substituting, wherever we may end up.

I am so excited and also scared to think about trying to do college classes again when I have to dig deep to help Sydney with her 3rd grade homework sometimes!

I am so grateful for these past 9 years of good health for Brian...it is more than most people with MS could ever ask for. I am grateful that his is still able to carry out his work, even though it takes him much more time and energy than it has in the past. I am grateful to have been through the military medical board process with Brian before to know what to expect. I am grateful to have his support and enthusiasm pushing me along to go back to school. I am grateful to have family and friends to share the burdens of trials with. I am grateful to know that God will never leave us alone and that He will watch over our family and guide us. I am grateful for a good, kind, honest, pure, hard-working, handsome husband who refuses to do less or be less.

So it's time to dry my eyes, dust of my backpack and sharpen my #2 pencils!