We are so blessed to have an amazing and wonderful physical therapist who comes to work with Preston. We have been working on sitting up for a few weeks now. At first it was hard for me to see him struggle so much. Tears would come to my eyes and I would think how unfair it is that a sweet little guy would have to work so hard to accomplish something that "typical" children of his age had mastered months ago. Well, this week we had a breakthrough that brought tears of joy for our sweet little Preston.
We celebrated Hailey's 4th birthday. I couldn't help but think back to October of 2004 when Hailey contracted Whooping Cough at only 8 weeks old. She went from bad to worse and went from the pediatric floor of the Long Beach Children's Hospital to the ICU where she stayed for 10 days. Thankfully, my mother was visiting us and between her, Brian and I someone was with her at every moment, day and night. I hated what happened to our little, helpless baby with IVs, oxygen, feeding tubes over and over again. Every time she would begin to cough, my heart would race and I would call for someone to help me as we would pump up her oxygen, suction her mouth, and prepare for an emergency as he would turn bright red, then purple, then gray...praying, praying...and then take a huge gulp of air and cry before falling to sleep. I remember sitting by her bed crying and pleading with God that I would do anything, just please don't take my new baby away. I know that I probably haven't kept my end of that deal, but God knew that it was not time for her to leave this life. She recovered more quickly than the doctors expected and has been growing strong and smart ever since.
Hailey - you are just a joy! You are loving and fun and creative. We are so grateful that you are a part of our family!