Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Much Anticipated...BUDDY WALK



When we found out that Preston had Down Syndrome, I knew that I wanted to be involved with the Down Syndrome community. Through activities I got to know some incredible people, mostly moms, who have given me advice, strength and support through these last 9 months. It has been a roller coaster with many highs and a few lows and some knuckle gripping, stomach flopping times. Being part of this first Buddy Walk with Preston was very special for our family. I was afraid that I would be emotional, but I held it together - mostly because I was continually trying to count kids to make sure we had everyone with us. We are so proud to have Preston as part of our family and to have membership in a club that we had never given thought to. This event was very meaningful to us and we are so grateful for the support of our friends and family who showed their love to us and especially to Preston.

The Erickson Family - Thank you for walking with us and for the cute signs you made! It was so fun! The Stahr Family - Thank you for your donation to our team and for coming down to cheer us on and see us cross the finish line. Thank you for your donations to our Buddy Walk Team: Uncle Ben, Zach & Ginet, Caryl, Linda, Eric & Audra, Cody & Amber, Curt & Anna, Brad & Alicia, Parry & Angela, Grandma & Grandpa Egbert, Great-Grandpa & Great-Grandma Egbert, Todd & April, and an Anonymous Doner

Thank you all so much for your time and funds in helping us reach our Buddy Walk goals and for letting us know of your love and support.

So, I woke up at 5:30am and couldn't go back to sleep because I was so excited for the Buddy Walk. When we arrived, we got our breakfast, met up with the Erickson's and started on our way.






Phew...one mile down - 2 to go!


Only one mile left! Time for a potty break!

We made it to the finish line and our friends were there to meet us!


After lunch, they had prizes and a dance contest. They had 3 prizes for the youngest children at the Buddy Walk with Down Syndrome. Preston was the 3rd oldest and received a beautiful quilt made by a lady from the FOX 21 news station.


It was a wonderful experience being part of the Buddy Walk. We saw several of our friends and many more people I'm sure we will come to know better as we are involved in activities. I am so proud of the kids for going that distance with us, with good attitudes in a spirit of support for Preston and people with Down Syndrome. I'm already looking forward to next year's Buddy Walk...so is Preston!