Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Fun, Terrific, Fabulous, Magnificent, Relaxing (Kid-less) 24 Hours

It all started early Friday morning at 6am when I got on a plane to head out to LA. Brian picked me up at the airport. Brian had already checked into the hotel and so we went and had a wonderful breakfast together in the concierge lounge. (It pays to be platinum, I guess.) Brian had to go to the base to practice for the awards banquet so I went and got my nails done and strolled around Barnes & Noble. Then I picked up Brian and we met some of our Pedro friends for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants...El Torito. It was great to see everyone! I miss and love you all!! I had a wonderful time at lunch with you. Thank you for taking the time to spend with me!


After lunch, we ran some errands and then headed back to the hotel so we could take a nap and then get ready for the evening. We met up with all the other award nominees to practice getting into alphabetical order (yeah, pretty funny) and then wait for the general to arrive to greet us. A lot of waiting....and waiting....but finally the general arrived and shook each of our hands and gave the nominees a special coin. Brian thought it was cool that he could add a 3 star coin to his collection. Then more waiting and mingling and waiting....and I don't wear heels very often...oh my goodness - my feet were killing me! Finally at about 7:45 we all filed into the banquet hall and walked across the stage under the honor guard swords as we were announced. All I could think of was not tripping on my dress and we took the stairs. It all went well and we found our dinner table and enjoyed our evening tremendously.

Brian didn't end up winning the yearly award for his category but it was an honor for him to be nominated from SY and it was an honor to me to attend with him. It was special to be able to meet with good friends again after having moved to Colorado. It was so special to see our good friends the Wagners. Col. Wagner was Brian's commander at Vandenberg AFB and I became good friends with his wife as she looked over all the spouses in the group. They got stationed in LA before us and then helped us in our transition to Los Angeles and have been our friends during our assignment there. With busy schedules and family and base responsibilities we weren't able to get together as much as we would have liked but I could always count on seeing them at the formal banquets and balls on base. Well, now Col. Wagner is retired and he looked studdly in a tuxedo but I missed seeing him in his mess dress. Janet looked lovely as ever. They have been our mentors, advisers and friends as we have shared our military journey.


Here's Brian and his big fat SMC medal.

Here's me in my dress and the jewelry that my great Colorado friends helped me make.
Anyway - after the dance we enjoyed a great sleep in a nice soft bed with too many pillows to count...no pacifiers, bottles, diapers, escaping children telling us they can't sleep, or need a drink...everyone needs that kind of nights every once in a while. Morning came too quickly and we had a fabulous breakfast at the hotel and then made our way to LAX. It was hard to say good-bye to Brian after our 24 hours together knowing that we won't be seeing each other for several more weeks, but it was time to head back to reality.
I have to thank Susanne for all of her hard work with the kids and also Jill and Sydney who watched the kids while Susanne was at school. When I arrived home the house looked decent and the kids were having a great time playing....they didn't want me to take the babysitter home. Made me wish I would have stayed longer! But time to get back to the pacifiers, bottles, diapers, kids needing drinks and snacks and baths and I wouldn't trade it for the world....except to spend 24 hours with my best friend.