Friday, September 14, 2018

Lost Children & Honking Cars

We got a later checkout time, so we could do some laundry at the hotel.  The girls walked to a shopping center to get a composition notebook for school.  Courtney called because google maps wanted them to run across a highway.  I told them to find another way.  I didn't hear from them for a while, so I started calling...no answer...I tried again and again...still not answer from Courtney.  I started freaking out, and got everyone in the car to go find the girls.  What would I do if they had gotten hit by a car or abducted?!?  That would totally ruin our plans to fly out to Italy!  We found them, and Courtney realized she had her notifications totally off.  What a relief!


We found a bagel place and got a dozen bagels with cream  cheese and ate them while we waited for the laundry to finish up.  We drove to the coast for a little outing in New Castle, Delaware.  There was a dock, nice walking path, and a park.  Enormous trees held these bumpy, textured balls up in the branches.  Courtney tried to knock one down, but they were stubborn and didn't come down.  It's still a mystery to us what is inside these softball sized balls.


The sound of the sea is always so calming and wondrous.  It's fun having this adventure with the kids.



We continued up the coast to the area where would will be flying out on Sunday.  We stopped by some hotels, but they didn't have rooms that worked for us, or they were more than we wanted to pay.  We stopped by the Marriott brand hotels near the airport.  The Springhill had a room available that was large enough for everyone - at a great price - AND on top of that they let us use points!!  Three nights at an amazing hotel for FREE!!  What a blessing for us!

Brian and I left the kids in the room to work on school, and Brian and I took a trip to Walmart to get a luggage scale and some food.  These spaghetti highways are packed with honking cars, semi trucks, and confusing on and off ramps.  It took us more than a half an hour to go to the Walmart 5 miles away.  These roads make me excited to get rid of our vehicle.

Not only is the room at the Marriott comfortable, with breakfast and an airport shuttle, it has a 6th story view of New York and Brooklyn.  The kids had fun swimming, and I relaxed and watched TV.